Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Say Yes To The Dress.



I finished watching the first season of Say Yes to the Dress: Atlanta on Thursday evening.  It’s a TLC show that started in 2010, a spin-off from Say Yes to the Dress which features Kleinfeld Bridal in Manhattan.  Both shows are kind of my guilty pleasure.  Say Yes to the Dress: Atlanta is currently available to watch instantly on Netflix, each episode is about 20 minutes long, and is the perfect show when you want to pass a few minutes or want something on in the background while you do something else.

The reality program features Bridals by Lori in Atlanta, Georgia.  Owner Lori Allen, image consultant Monte Durham, manager Robin Gibbs, and their talented team of bridal consultants help brides find their perfect gown.  Hokey? Of course! But it’s a good show nonetheless.  The bridal team is full of funny, talented, and kind ladies who deal with plenty of drama!  Makes for some good television!

Reality shows like this always make me wonder about production.  So I did a little research.  And by research I mean I read Wikipedia and I’m hoping the information is correct.

Apparently, if a bride wants to be featured on the show you have to apply online and go through a casting process.  This makes sense to me because that’s how most other reality shows work.  Though, I had assumed, for some reason, that brides who came in for appointments were just asked if they wanted to be on the show.  That doesn’t make sense at all and I don’t know why I thought that.  Glad I know the truth now (unless Wiki’s lying to me).

The brides who are on the show receive no compensation and don’t even have to buy a dress.  So, if you really want to be on TV and really want to shop at Bridals by Lori, then this is the show for you to apply for!  The beautiful bridal store has twenty-one dressing rooms and only número diez (or number ten, for those of you who do not know advanced Spanish) is used for the show.

I find the process kind of fascinating and I am glad that I looked it up.  I don’t think I would ever want to be on the show because editing makes most of the brides/families look nuts.  I’m not nuts and I don’t want to look nuts.  I do however want to shop at Bridals by Lori and I want Monte to “jack me up.”  If you’ve never watched the show, and I suggest you do, being “jacked up” by Monte Ray means having your hair pulled up, wearing a veil and jewelry, and just being made to look how you would on your wedding day.  Often, a bride’s family will like the chosen dress more once the bride has been jacked up in style.

Monte is amazing.  So is Randy, from the original Say Yes to the Dress.  These dapper gay men swoop in to make any bride look/feel amazing and they totally save the day.  You go guys! You go Glenn Coco!

TLC has also successfully produced some spin-offs from Say Yes to the Dress, Say Yes to the Dress: Atlanta, Say Yes to the Dress: Bridesmaids, Say Yes to the Dress: Monte’s Take, Say Yes to the Dress: Big Bliss, Say Yes to the Dress: Randy Knows Best, and Randy To The Rescue.   Now all that’s left is Say Yes to the Tux!  I’m looking at you TLC. Hint hint.

Check out the video below for a Behind the Scenes look at a production day for just one bride.  Apparently it takes five hours to shoot one party!

No comments:

Post a Comment