Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Safe Haven.

I'm not always into romance movies but I have a soft spot for Nicholas Sparks movie adaptations.  I mean, who doesn't right?  Sparks is known for writing some intensely romantic and dramatic novels and many of his books have been turned into movies like A Walk to Remember, Nights in Rodanthe, The Notebook, and The Last Song.  I will admit I've never actually read one of his books and admitting that somehow feels wrong.  The emotions I feel when watching any of his movies are pretty strong so I can't even imagine what it is like to read his books.


I recently watched Safe Haven on Netflix while I was browsing the "recently released" section.  Let me tell you, that was a damn good movie.  I was hooked pretty immediately from beginning to end.  And just to warn you, I was a crying mess at the end so come prepared with tissues!

Safe Haven stars Julianne Hough as a woman running from her past to a little seaside town where she meets a man she never expected to fall in love with, who is played by Josh Duhamel.  You probably remember Julianne Hough from Dancing with the Stars!  She is a talented dancer, country music singer, and now actress.  I was a tad unsure of her casting for this role but I think she was outstanding.  I was also unsure about Josh Duhamel because I always think of him as playing jerks.  Luckily, I was wrong, he was great, and the pair had wonderful chemistry.

Sometimes Nicholas Sparks gives his work such a surprise ending that I hate it.  It's either stupid or just too sad to even comprehend.  A Walk to Remember and Nights in Rodanthe are two of my favorite endings.  I know A Walk to Remember probably seems like a weird choice because she dies at the end but you know the whole time that she's sick so you shouldn't be surprised.  And if you haven't seen that movie, then sorry for spoiling the ending.  But don't worry, while it may be sad it's also very sweet and satisfying.  I love movies with a satisfying ending!

Dear John has the worst ending ever out of all the Nicholas Sparks movies I've ever seen.  It is so terrible.  It ruined the rest of the movie.  That makes me sad because I love Amanda Seyfried and Channing Tatum.

The Lucky One is maybe the steamiest Sparks film.  I mean, Zac Efron hunkyhunk and Taylor Schilling from Orange Is The New Black?  Hello! Steamy love scene!

Anyway, now that I'm semi off track let's get back to Safe Haven.  It's really great guys!  I highly recommend it.  It is a romance/drama, it will make you cry, but it has a wonderfully satisfying ending.

No comments:

Post a Comment