Monday, February 8, 2016

Hannibal.

Hannibal is an NBC television series which prequels Silence of the Lambs to explore Hannibal Lecter's early relationship with a young FBI profiler named Will Graham.  During its three seasons on the air, Hannibal takes viewers on a disturbing journey through the early career of Dr. Hannibal Lecter, a psychologist who moonlights as a cannibal.


Every Sunday Caleb and I go to our friends Jeff and Tabby's house to watch The Walking Dead and an episode of something else.  Currently The Walking Dead is on a break so we have been watching one episode of American Horror Story: Hotel and one episode of Hannibal.  Last week we finished AHS and last night we watched the final two episodes of Hannibal.  I've had my ups and downs with this show.  Some episodes were too much for me to take and others were so enthralling I couldn't wait to watch next week.  Last night left me wanting more!

Hannibal is a psychological thriller/horror.  The show brings gruesome gore that makes me cringe and close my eyes but also provides twists and turns in the relationship between Hannibal Lecter and Will Graham that make my mind explode.  I didn't realize it until the final episode but the show is really about their relationship and the crimes are just to fill in plot.

Before this show I had never heard of Mads Mikkelsen, who plays Hannibal Lecter.  He is an actor from Copenhagen and has been in a quite a few movies and shows.  He is so incredible at portraying Hannibal that I have a feeling we'll be seeing him again.

Hugh Dancy plays Will Graham, the young FBI profiler who feels empathy for killers and uses that to help solve crimes.  Hugh is a British actor and has appeared in a few movies himself.  I recognize him as the lead male in Confessions of a Shopaholic with Isla Fisher.
 
One more person worth mentioning is Laurence Fishburne.  I mean, how could I not mention him?  He's amazing!  He's been in way too many movie and shows to list so just take my word for it that he's incredible.

There are potential spoilers ahead, so if you haven't seen Hannibal yet you may want to turn back.

Hannibal and Will share a twisted relationship that started as friends and, by the final scene of the final episode, bordered on romance.  I don't think they would actually be romantic but there is an obsession and pull between them that mirrors romance.  The final scene was incredibly beautiful and weird.  Together they brought down the Great Red Dragon and fell to their deaths in a bloody, loving embrace.

Are they truly dead, though?  I have a feeling they are not.  It's Hannibal Lecter and he always has tricks up his sleeve to create the illusion of death.  If this show is at all connected to Silence of the Lambs then we know Hannibal does not die.  There are rumors of a potential movie to continue this story that was left on a literal cliffhanger.  I would definitely watch a movie or miniseries to see where Hannibal and Will go next, if they are indeed alive (which, let's face it, they totally are).

You can catch Hannibal streaming right now on Amazon Prime!  Stick with it during those rough times because it's worth it to see the finale.  I have never seen a finale quite like that before and it left me excited and wanting more.

Check out the video below for a little insight into the horrifically elaborate murder scenes from Hugh Dancy on Late Night with Seth Meyers.

"Could you digitally add more blood?"  Always.


No comments:

Post a Comment