Monday, February 1, 2016

Joey.

Spin-offs.  We dread them yet we cannot seem to tear our eyes away from the series premier.  With this post I bring you Joey, a spin-off of the beloved sitcom Friends.


Joey follows Joey Tribbiani on his move from New York City to Los Angeles to follow his acting career.  I am a big time fan of Friends.  I have watched the series through from beginning to end at least six times.  You can catch all of Friends streaming on Netflix right now, which makes it easier to binge watch.  Joey premiered in 2004, shortly after Friends ended.  I was still young but I vaguely remember watching the first episode and thinking it was terrible.  So I never watched it again.

The thing with spin-offs is that we all just want to keep watching our favorite show that we know and love.  We start watching these spin-off shows with a closed mind and eventually these shows get canceled after just half a season.  However, after some time has passed maybe we should be revisiting these shows.  I'm always putting Friends on when I'm home cleaning, cooking, or working on a project but enough time has passed that now I'm hungry for new material and Joey is one satisfying meal.

I am here to tell you that you should try re-watching all of those failed spin-offs!  Well, maybe not all of them.  Caleb and decided to watch Joey and I have to say we both really like it so far.  We sat down and watched four episodes in a row.  It's still our favorite Joey but he's in a new setting with new people.

The premise of the show has Joey moving to L.A. with his Sister, Gina Tribianni played by Drea de Matteo.  You might recognize Drea as Adriana in The Sopranos or more recently as Wendy in Sons of Anarchy.  Originally Joey's sister Gina was played by K.J. Steinberg in "The One Where Chandler Can't Remember."

Gina had a baby at age 16 and her son is now 20 years old in this series.  Michael Tribianni, played by Paulo Costanza, is a rocket scientist which is pretty funny considering what a dope Joey is.  You might recognize Paulo from his role as Evan in Royal Pains.

Replacing his quirky agent Estelle is Jennifer Coolidge as Bobbie.  I adore Jennifer Coolidge!  I love her in everything I've seen her in.  She even had a guest role on Friends as Monica and Phoebe's frenemy Amanda Buffamonteezi (Monica darling!  It's Amanda calling!).

An unfamiliar face to me is Andrea Anders, who plays Alex, the super at Joey's apartment complex.  She's no Mr. Treeger but she's still a great character.  She has a slew of recurring television roles you might want to check out!

One more character worth mentioning is Joey's potential best friend, Howard!  Howard is played by the hilarious Ben Falcone.  Ben is married to Melissa McCarthy and has appeared in many of her movies as well as his own.  New Girl, Bridesmaids, Tammy, and even Gilmore Girls are just a few of the great projects he's been a part of.

I am only about six episodes in but I could not wait to write about this one.  I will make another entry about Joey when I finish the series.  Luckily this particular spin-off managed to last for two whole seasons!

Check back in a few weeks for more on Joey!








No comments:

Post a Comment