Saturday, August 31, 2013

Under the Dome.

So, Under the Dome is not on Netflix, however it is streaming on Amazon Prime.  So if you have Prime then I suggest you go check it out.  It's based on a Stephen King book and Stephen King is really awesome.  I'm from Maine, King's from Maine, so basically that means we're both cool, right?  Don't answer that.


Under the Dome has become a small obsession.  Caleb and I were a little late jumping on that train.  Probably because we don't have cable and don't always hear about the new shows.  We blasted right through the first seven episodes that were available and now wait impatiently for a new episode to air every Friday on Amazon.  The first season will run thirteen episodes and has already been renewed for a second season.  Hallelujah!

 
I don't know what it is about Stephen King but his work is so often turned into movies, television series, or mini-series.  I guess he's just that good!  King always has his hand in all of his screen adaptations so maybe that is why his work is so successful.  He has been around for ages and has written many novels and short stories and screenplays.... The man does it all!  I will forever be a Stephen King fan.  I love horror and I love his creativity.  Though, I do question his sanity sometimes because he writes some messed up stuff.  Check out that cow above that got chopped perfectly in half by the dome!  You get to see that cow get halved in the opening to every episode.

Under the Dome features quite a few main characters.  There does not seem to be one protagonist so I'll list the most prominent characters:
  • Joe McAlister: Colin Ford is probably best known for playing Young Sam Winchester in the show Supernatural.  He also voices Jake in the children's animated series Jake and the Never Land Pirates.
  • Angie McAlister: I know Britt Robertson from the short lived series Life Unexpected.  She starred in another CW series called The Secret Circle.  She's been in a lot of stuff actually!  She was in Scream 4 and I'm always up for new Scream movies.
  • Norrie Calvert-Hill: Mackenzie Lintz has a short acting resume!  She was an extra in The Hunger Games and has a small role on the show Drop Dead Diva.  I like her so I hope she continues acting as a career.
  • Dale "Barbie" Barbara: The ever handsome and mysterious Mike Vogel has been in quite a few titles including Grounded for Life which now that I think about it I totally remember him in!
  • Julia Shumway: Most of you will recognize Rachelle Lefevre from her sadly short-lived stint as Victoria in Twilight and New Moon.  She was replaced and not for the better.  She will always be the greater Victoria!  She was also in this SUPER creepy thriller called The Caller.  I highly highly highly recommend that one.
  • Linda Esquevil: Natalie Martinez is a face and name that I do not recognize.  Upon investigation I found that she plays Detectives an awful lot!  Hmm, that must be her thing!
  • "Big Jim" Jim Rennie: Ahhh, good ole' Dean Norris!  I'm sure you all recognize Norris from Breaking Bad.  It's actually quite hard to watch Under the Dome and not think of him as Hank from Breaking Bad.  He's totally bad-ass and I don't know why anyone messes with this guy.
  • "Junior" Jim Rennie, Jr.: Alexander Koch's resume is also a bit short.  He was in two shorts and had an appearance on an episode of Underemployed.
  • And a shout out to Beth Broderick, who played Rose Twitchell the dinner owner.  Broderick was Aunt Zelda on Sabrina the Teenage Witch.  One of my ALL TIME favorite shows ever.  So she needed to be mentioned.
So, that's quite a cast!  Even the unknown names are great, I think.  Sometimes the acting falls a little short but I wonder if that's the characters and not necessarily the acting.

Under the Dome can be rather predictable.  But only at times!  Caleb and I love to make predictions while we watch movies or shows so this one is perfect for us.  We'll both shout out something that's about to happen and when it does we get so excited.  On the other hand, occasionally that dome throws us a curve that we did not expect.

It's a unique plot for sure, so kudos to Stephen King for writing yet another fantastic novel and keeping his creativity right in there for the television series.  I have yet to see his cameo, though!  Maybe he saves those just for the movie adaptations.


If you haven't checked it out yet and if you have Amazon Prime then go watch this right now!  It may also be available to watching on CBS.com but I haven't checked that out myself.  It's worth watching because of how unusual the plot is.  A giant dome comes down over the town of Chester's Mill and no one can get out or get in.  Even after a military bomb the dome is still standing strong!  I can't even imagine what the second season of this series has in store for us but I am excited to find out.  Check out the intense preview below!  If this doesn't make you want to watch it then I don't know what will.


No comments:

Post a Comment